Morning Star Design (MSD’s) course is for individuals that wish to take their drawing ability to the next level. This type of drawing training is based on the groundbreaking research of Dr. Betty Edwards, and helps designers develop a skill that helps them produce compelling works, be that at the brief stage or further down the line in the design process.
No prior drawing knowledge is required, but is beneficial. The course outline is as follows:
The five drawing skills to master:
• Drawing nothing.
• Drawing nothing as a group.
• Accessing right brain thinking.
• Drawing theory
• How to draw what you see.
• Pre-instruction drawings.
The anatomy of drawings:
• Linear qualities.
• Organic and geometric shapes.
• Types of line.
• Linguistic and visual connections.
• Parallel ways of knowing.
• The Archimedes factor.
Making the shift:
• Face profiles.
• Upside down drawing.
• Unpacking the subconscious mind
• Sign here!
• The cube exercise.
• Mark making.
• Drawing analogs.
• Pure contour drawing.
• The stages of creativity.
• Creativity explorations and accepted norms.
• Drawing what is and what isn’t
• Gestural drawings.
• Negative space
The art of seeing:
• Sighting through a tube.
• Working with grids.
• Pencil sighting.
• Working with a viewfinder.
• Sighting proportion.
• Light and dark.
• The five lights of nature.
• Emerging from the shadows.
• Dealing with perspective.
• Before and after comparison
Working with colour:
• Colour theory.
• The colour wheel.
• The value scale.
• Colour associations.
• Colour fundamentals.
• Colour combinations that work.
• Additive and subtractive colour models.
• Successful colour combinations.
• Colour combination considerations.
• Colour harmonies.
• Harmonious sets.
• Triads, tetrads and pentagrams.
• Complementaries and split complementaries.
Translating drawing to the digital world:
• Setting up your drawing tablet.
• Painting in Photoshop.
• Brush presets and settings.
• Merging pencil drawings with Photoshop.
• Drawing in Illustrator.
• Setting up Illustrator tools.
• Drawing from paper.
• Drawing digital directly.
• Working with Painter.
• How Painter and Photoshop work together.
• How Painter and Photoshop differ.
• Getting the eccentric line.
• Scratchboard techniques.
• Fantasy art.
Duration: 2 days, 8-9 Oct.
Cost: R5000 per delegate for the two days.
Submit your news and video content to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to our YouTube channel, read the top 5 stories weekly on WhatsApp or sign up to our newsletter.
MSD (+27 11) 782 4297 email@example.com www.imsd.co.za