FESPA launched its call for entries for its 2017 Awards, marking the start of its search for pioneering and innovative projects in the print industry. The FESPA 2017 Awards are open for entries.
With 15 categories designed to celebrate the achievements and innovations across the print industry and non-printed signage industry, the FESPA Awards is the print industry’s only independent, global Awards programme to recognise outstanding contributions.
Now in its 26th year, the FESPA Awards programme is renowned for unearthing talent across all disciplines of the printing industry. Spanish print shop Taller de Serigrafia and South African-based printer Screenline are just two previous winners who credit their business growth to these Awards.
Christian M Walter, managing director of Taller de Serigrafia stated, ‘I think it´s evident that there is no better publicity for a print studio than winning a prize as prestigious as a FESPA Gold Award. Anybody who is entirely convinced to have done something extraordinary should send their submissions, as these awards are a major showcase for a printer´s work and skills.’
Likewise, Neil de Greef, managing director of Screenline commentend on his triumph, ‘Winning a FESPA Award has given our company not only the confidence and validation for our work, but it has also provided a springboard to drive further innovation within the marketplace.’
As in previous years, entrants for all categories will be required to submit their work by the 27th of January 2017. Judging will take place over the 1st and 2nd March by an independent panel of industry experts.
This differs from the previous judging process, which has always taken place alongside our FESPA exhibition. The reason behind this change, as explained by FESPA’s Head of Events, Duncan MacOwan, is to ‘allow the judges more time to assess the entered work, and debate the eventual winners of each category; a task that proves more challenging each year as the quality and volume of entries continues grow.’
There are 15 different categories to enter such as ‘Roll-to-Roll Printed Textile’ or ‘Point of Purchase Products’, and all categories are technique-agnostic so can be produced using screen, digital, flexo or any type, or combination, of print technique(s).
The full list of the 2017 categories is as follows:
• Point of Purchase Products: Printing on paper & board, including paper banners and backlit papers.
• Point of Purchase Products: printed on all types of plastics, including plastic banners and backlit plastic and lenticular, plastic printing in sheets, flexible or rigid.
• Posters, single sheets and multi-sheets.
• Original Serigraphies and Giclees and Fine Art reproductions, books, brochures etc.
• Decals, printed labels, fleet marking, window decals etc.
• Special effect: Screen printed over offset, digital or screen printed images and other innovative applications.
• Special effect on T-shirts and other garments: Embroidery, additions of pearls, metal, circuitry etc.
• T-shirts and other garments: Direct printing, transfers and roll-to-roll.
• Roll-to-roll printed textile: Decoration and pennants, banners, tapestries, draperies, other textile products (e.g. bags, scarves, ties, etc.)
• Glass, Ceramic, Metal and Wood products: Tableware, tiles, glasses, mirrors curved and flat, direct printing, decals, glass and ceramic, metal and wood products, signs and objects.
• Direct printing on three dimensional products: Bottles, mugs, skis, packaging etc.
• Non-printed signage: Channel lettering, neon signs, signwriting, etching, engraving and dimensional signage, acrylics, non-printed vinyl etc.
• Miscellaneous: compact discs, credit and phone cards, automobiles, IMD, fascias, dials, nameplates, signs, gauges, printed circuits and membrane switches, hybrid circuits, RFIDs, solar cells etc.
Outside of the application-led categories, there are three separate categories: Young Star, Best in Show and People’s Choice.
The Young Star award is open to an employee or student in a print related discipline aged between 16 and 25. Best in Show is decided by the judges, across all the shortlisted entries, for the piece of work that offers the most outstanding example of print. And the People’s Choice award is voted for online by the FESPA community. Voting will open on the 6th February 2016.
The FESPA 2017 Awards are open to all printers and signmakers who have produced quality projects with technical expertise relevant to the application.
Entries will be judged on technique, colour, appearance, image definition, job complexity, use and creativity. The full list of awards criteria and judging deadlines can be found at www.fespaawards.com.
All shortlisted entries will also be displayed at the Hamburg Messe in Hamburg during FESPA 2017, 8-12th May, and the winners will be announced in front of an elite audience of global industry experts at FESPA’s Gala Night on Wednesday 9th May at the 5* Grand Elysee Hotel in Hamburg. The evening will include a three-course meal and live entertainment.
Addresses for entries:
– Practical Publishing: 19 Kloof Road, Shop 5, The Kloof Mall, Bedfordview, 2008. Attention Charnia Yapp.
– Printing SA Central Chamber: 575 Lupton Drive, Midrand, 1682. Attention Zama Zulu.
Cape Town entries:
Printing SA Cape Chamber: Block A, Unit 8, N1 City Mews, Goodwood, Cape Town. Attention Ken Leid.
Printing SA KZN Chamber, Unit 2, Afriscan Park, 21 Qashana Khuzwayo Road, New Germany, KwaZulu–Natal. Attention Geoff Warren.
Printers Digest published by DCS Integrated
44 Abeokuta Street 3 Olowologbon Street
DCS Integrated contact: Norah +234 09096135149 or firstname.lastname@example.org
WHERE To Print magazine published by NUMBERS CMYK LIMITED (RC 728214)
3 Olowologbon Street
(1st Story Building on the left – upstairs), Akowonjo, Lagos
Nigeria Nigeria 2341
WHERE To Print contact: Bola +234 708 077 4566 or email@example.com
For further delivery enquiries contact Zama Zulu at Printing SA on (+27 11) 287 1160 or Charnia Yapp at Practical Publishing on (+27 11) 025 9890.
Please visit the FESPA Awards site for more information on judging criteria and entry categories.
Act quickly, there are just two months to apply. The closing date for entries is 27 January 2017.